Saturday, May 30, 2009

El Numero Uno

I would imagine that most people's blogs start out in one of three ways:

1) The hesitant novice: "I swore I'd never blog, but here I am," their blog might begin. "We'll give this a try and see how it works out." If read aloud, this blog would sound something like Eeyore. Ho-hum. This blogger sounds begrudging. But don't be fooled by their facade, they really just want to sound casual so they don't loose too much face if no one reads their site.

2) The eager novice: This blogger would practically burst out of your computer screen and shake your hand, thanking you for reading their blog. When they log on to update, they're thinking, "Here I am in cyberspace, finally getting the maximum number of words to the maximum number of people for FREE!" . . . or maybe they're just excited to show off pictures of their kid's first day at swim lessons. At any rate, this blogger is super stoked that you're reading and they're soooo excited to keep updating so you don't forget about it. Gotta stay current and give the people what they want!

3) The novice who tries to make it look like they've been blogging for forever; you just can't see any of their previous posts: Post #1: "Sitting at Starbucks today, I was really struck by the latest Nooma video. Makes me think of how Mark Driscoll's sermon really relates to that one scene in Braveheart..." Ooh, this must be a culturally relevant Christian. No wonder he's blogging.

Actually, I have no basis for assuming that people's blogs start that way. Those are just the first three ideas that popped into my head for my first post. Here's my train of thought:

"OK, I should start this one off saying that I'm blogging now because Todd said I should... No, that sounds kind of lame... OK, I'll just put a short blurb on here about how I'm kind of embarassed to be doing this, and try to write something substantive later. No, that's boring... I'll just jump right into something I put in my journal earlier... WAIT! I'll just throw around some jokes that are primarily -- but secretly -- about me."

And so, here we are.

1 comment:

  1. What makes bloggers feel extremely special is when they receive comments on how impacting their blog was and how much it moved him or her. This was quite a touching post.

    ReplyDelete