Saturday, June 6, 2009

Thoughts on my writing break

Item 1: I like the idea of talking mice. The makers of Cinderella nailed that one.

Item 2: One thing I appreciate about Austin is that we have neighborhood pride. Like any human habit, that could go too far and trend toward insularity. But in Austin, people actually hang out in their hood instead of just punting it to to the nearest mall/restaurant/Starbuck's like we used to in Dallas. Props to that. So glad I live here. (And so glad Cafe Brazil took us in with open arms while I lived in Big D.)

Item 3: Good music is just so good...
Suggestions for while you write:
-Bela Fleck's "Places" album
-South Austin Jug Band's "Treak of Beandip Perkins"
-Elvis' gospels. Interesting spiritual journey he had, by the way. Read up on it during an earlier writing break.
-The Passion "God of This City" album. Still like it.
-When I'm writing I try to listen to music that energizes me but that I don't pay attention to because I get distracted. So, best practice = listening to an album straight though, preferably when I know the words to all the songs. Personally, I can accomplish this with Hanson's "Middle of Nowhere," Caedmon's Call's "40 Acres" & the self-titled CD, and a coupla' old Jars of Clay CD's. That's not very many albums. Hence the bluegrass.
-This song:


Then later, when you're on the front porch, throw in some:
-Dirty Dozen Brass Band
-Big Sam's Funky Nation
-Sarah McMillan
-Sandra McCracken

No comments:

Post a Comment