Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Oh how quickly I can lend my heart
To idols.

Ignoring warning signs, doubting the instructions
To wholeness, to freedom, to peace and joy

I walk, doubting, obliging, wondering, resenting the good and holy
That holds me
when no man can, nor woman would - friend, foe, family - none could understand me

Like You.

And I am left alone when I run from You to others
For try as they might
Or think as they do

That they understand me, none can, and none will, but
You.

I look to lost hours and see my crooked path
like scribbles on a road map I wander
and linger, and drive in circles
When I could be at the well, resting, working toward the goal
Instead of dawdling on the roadside

Yet how quickly Your Words wash me
and soothe me
and heal me
and bring me assurance and peace

that no man can.
And no idol will.

For idols, either the nothing-kind, or the deception of the enemy kind

leave me high and dry and alone.
But You look upon me, and You gaze, and You see the good You've done,
and I am whole
in You.

Knowing I'll run, knowing I'll forget the way, or ignore the way, and maybe in the ignoring I'll teach myself to forget

Then I'll come back and receive the balm that You pursue me

And I'll realize that my life is hidden in You.
And THAT is the goal - to take hold of that life.
To live that life.

I love You.

1 comment: